Salads definitely don’t need to be boring, and they’re also not just for hot days! Despite technically being a salad, this warming recipe is filled with nourishing hearty vegetables and packed full of flavour (and not to mention colour!) to give a little spice back to your usual weeknight dinner. The perfect vegetarian meal for when you want something healthy that still feeds the soul.
1 large eggplant, or 2 small, roughly chopped
1 large sweet potato, or 2 small, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 red onion, quartered
2 beetroots, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, whole
10 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
100g goat’s feta, plus extra to serve
100g Greek yoghurt
4–6 cups baby spinach leaves
1 lemon, juiced
Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the eggplant, sweet potato, carrot, red onion, beetroot and garlic on a roasting tray. Coat generously in olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Spread out onto the tray so they aren’t piled on top of each other and roast for 50–60 minutes. Use two trays if needed.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the beetroot and feta dip, place the roasted beetroots in a blender with the feta, yoghurt and the garlic from the roasting tray. Make sure to remove the skins from the garlic cloves! Add a glug of olive oil and blend until just combined. It doesn’t need to be totally smooth, a little chunky is good.
- To assemble the salad, toss the remaining roasted veggies with spinach and lemon juice.
- To serve, smear the blended beetroot dip on the plate and pile on the salad. Top with a little extra feta.
The roasting time of the veggies will depend on the size you chop them, but ideally you want them to not only be cooked in the centre but also nicely browned and caramelised on the edges, yum!
Check out Liv’s blog (http://livkaplan.com) for more nourishing and delicious food recipes.
Need more inspiration?
This Weekend is a sustainable living guide that’s good for people & the planet — offering guides on slow travel, sustainable dining, conscious brands, wellness essentials, and more. Our platform promotes living sustainably without compromising the things that matter most.